Not less than a week later the inspiration was found in this jumper from the Storm NZ website.
My immediate thought 'seriously how hard could that be to make', my daughter's immediate thought 'I want that'! How lucky is she to have a mum who can sew, right!
I couldn't see the sense in buying a pattern when really it should be straight forward to draft myself. I discovered this image on good ol Wikipedia, which was all I needed to get started.
We had to make some decisions based on her body and preferences. The front neck was to be 2.5" lower than the back neck; we decided to slope the shoulder seams slightly; the sleeve cuffs were 4" deep and the body band 5" deep with the peephole finishing at the waist so the band would hug her hips. We added 4" of ease in total to the circumference of the top to get the desired loose (but not baggy) fit. With the plan in hand it was time to fabric shop (my favourite part).
Drafting the pattern was the most time consuming part of this project. Once that was done cutting and sewing took no time at all - love those kinda projects :-)
Now back to finishing her lace dress.