Monday 3 June 2013

Quick Fix with Merino

Yay for quick fix sewing projects!  After the Burda Sew-Along in May and with by Robson Jacket hung on my "I'm not impressed" hanger I was looking for some instant gratification! 

First off the rank was McCalls 5006 which is a pattern I've had in my collection for a few years and never ever sewn!   I've had my eye on this merino for a few weeks now, specifically to pair up with my Cambie.  But for today I've paired it with my shirt dress and jeans. 

I lengthen the body by one inch and opted for long sleeves for winter wear.  I really like this pattern and after wearing the top all day today it is really comfy and warm.  Next time I make this I would consider adding a band to the bottom and shortening the ties by about two inches.

Then I thought I would make the Meg McElwee Surplice Dress, shortened to a top.  Again I opted for long sleeves (original pattern had short sleeves).  Clear elastic is used around the neckline, for modesty and again around the empire line to hug the body. 


I had my first Renfew all lined up with another piece of merino, however it wasn't quite enough fabric for a true Renfrew, so with a slight modification to the pattern here is my third quick fix merino.  I used the front neckline and bust from the surplice, because it's not required to be cut on the fold and the result: a Renfrew with a twist  :-)


I really enjoyed making these garments and can't wait to return to the shop for more fabric to make a 'proper' Renfrew.

Sorry no photos wearing these last two, they just got completed today so they are about to be washed.  I'm looking forward to enjoying these basics in my wardrobe.




4 comments:

  1. Cute tops you will get lots of use out of I am sure. Nothing like completing quick projects to make get your sewing mojo back:) ~Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great selection of tops! I love that green merino you've used for the first one - gorgeous colour. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat - I'm feeling inspired for Indie June now :-)

      Delete