Sunday 13 March 2016

Fluttering Around

Kia ora!  Oh my gosh how did it get to be March already! Best I get a wiggle on then and tell you about my first make for 2016.  Introducing my flutter dress....

Flutter Dress


To be honest I had to see a few of these on the blogisphere before I went ahead and purchased the pattern. I am a Papercut fan girl and this pattern did not disappoint.

Flutter Dress

I knew I wanted to make a dress version rather than the tunic (oh but I have made one of those as well - more on that later). This required a few adjustments - here's what I did:
  • Lengthen the front and back pattern pieces by 3", where the pattern recommends
  • Below the armpit I lengthen the front and back pieces by a further 1/2", to lower the dart point
  • I lowered the dart point by a further 1" and redrew the dart legs - so the apex was lowered by a total of 1 1/2"
Flutter Dress
  • I removed 1/8" from the top of the shoulder - I have more of a square shoulder
Flutter Dress
  • I inserted darts into the back to provide some shaping
I love a lined dress so much that I couldn't not insert a lining into this one.  The fabric is a poly crepe and could even have some nylon in it, which would lead to the dress sticking to my body all over - arrrrgh!  I used some light-weight acetate from the stash and used the delightful Hug Snug to finish all the seam allowances and the hem - man I love that stuff :-)

Flutter Dress

The fabric falls so beautifully with the full lining, and the sleeves ... what can I say, they just add that special touch to what is a pretty simple dress.

Flutter Dress

Flutter Dress

I am totally in love with this dress and have worn it constantly this summer.

More photos on my Flickr -->


4 comments:

  1. The more I see of the Flutter Dress the more I like it! This looks lovely and I can see why you've been wearing it constantly. I must get some of that Hug Snug too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate it is totally one of the easiest dresses to wear, dressed up or down with just the right touch of modesty. I've been sewing more with Rayon lately thanks to the introduction to Hug Snug - before I wouldn't even touch it because my overlocker would just eat it up. Now it's heaven!

      Delete
  2. I have this pattern too but I'm nervous! However I love the extra shaping you put into the back...oh it might have slipped just slightly up the list...also, Hug Snug 4eva <3 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a little more roomy than any other dress I've made, but I would highly recommend the back darts on a dress version. I also recommend above the knee with the full sleeves, it's kinda the balancing effect. I need all the Hug Snug colours!

      Delete