lace we had left over from a top I'd made for her back in May and that had already got the tick of approval.
I made up a muslin first to check fit, cutting out a size 12. A small list of adjustments were required, but nothing major:
- Lengthened bodice by 1.5".
- Moved shoulder seam back by 6/8" at neckline and 3/8" at shoulder seam.
- Removed 1/2" from each side seam under the arm and tapered to the existing side seam at waist.
The dress is not lined, which is okay by her. The sweetheart neckline where the base fabric meets the lace is bound, as recommended by the pattern - that shit was fiddly, but I got there!
I underlined the sleeve caps with black chiffon from the stash, to provide them with a bit of stability. I basted the sleeve caps in before binding the sleeve opening. I bought some black cotton poplin and made my own bias binding for neck/sleeve openings and bound seems. The polyester was just too heavy for that purpose.
The side zipper was inserted by hand using a pick stitch. Oh how I love it!
Overall the dress is her all time new fav and got her first official outing to the Beyonce concert recently.
A few more photos on my Flickr -->