Before the Christmas holiday season hit I'd been rabbiting on about the maxi dress being a must have this summer and I'd brought more than a little bit of fabric with a maxi dress in mind. I'd been doing a lot of thinking and stashing and NO actual doie ... well that was until the Jamie Christina patterns went on sale.
I started by sewing up a muslin in some very cheap crinkle stretch cotton I picked up at the Fabric Warehouse summer sale for just $3 p/m. I traced the pattern off starting with a size 8 in the bust and grading out to a size 12 at the waist and hips. I made version A, adding 1.5" to the length. The only change I made to the muslin was to pull the hips back to a size 10 so they weren't like wings!
Quite pleased with the look and feel of the muslin I wanted to use another piece of lightweight knit fabric that I picked up from the same sale at the Fabric Warehouse. I attempted to match the stripes down each side seam - what a shitty job! The stripes were so fine and the fabric wasn't be best quality, but a reasonable match-up in the end.
This fabric was so thin that it needed to be underlined, so I purchased some lycra knit from The Fabric Store and cut the pattern to just above the knee. I sewed the lining up the side seams and across the shoulders then snugged it inside the shell fabric and attached the neck and sleeve bindings to both layers together.
I could have just worn a petticoat underneath but with the razor back I thought it would be better to have it all integrated in the dress. I just have to make a razor back bra to wear underneath!
I really, really like the pattern but a bit oh hum about the purple stripe fabric - the grain line through the fabric is just wonky! It is super comfy to wear and will be fine for a weekend casual dress.
Both dresses were made in the same weekend - which says how quick and easy this pattern is to sew up. Perhaps next time I should use some quality knit fabric for a better outcome!
More photos on my Flickr -->