Monday 30 September 2013

Taller than average

I can't described how super stoked I am to know how to make jeans.  I no longer have to put up with RTW that aren't quite long enough!

Jalie Jeans Sep2013

Back in June I made my first pair of jeans with the much loved Jalie pattern.  After wearing those jeans for a wee while I was keen to make small adjustments and try different styles.

Jalie Jeans Sep2013

Here's the list of adjustments for this pair
  • lengthen the pattern by 5"
  • narrowed the bootleg - not straight but not as flared as the pattern
  • added depth to the waistband
  • cut 1/4" off the CB yoke at the wasit only and tapered down
  • drafted a flap for the back pocket and lowered the pocket placement
  • lowered the curve of the front pockets
  • added a coin pocket to the right front pocket - which didn't work that well!
Jalie Jeans Sep2013

This is only the second time I have sewn a fly front!  It was much better than my first, but still has some improvement to do.  I might need to make a skirt with a fly front!

For the back pockets I drafted pocket flaps using the shape of the bottom of the pocket and then lined them with some cotton (received in the Winter Swap), ideal match if you ask me.  I also used the same fabric for the front pocket lining.  haha have you spotted that I am missing a button!

Jalie Jeans Sep2013

I'm calling these my high heel jeans, as I can only wear them with high heals, or a boot as in these photos.  Something I've never been able to do before - RTW can only be worn with flats because of the lack of length!!!

Jalie Jeans Sep2013

My next is a pair of skinnies :)  I made further adjustments (more like tweaks) to the pattern immediately that I finished this pair, while it was still fresh in my mind.  I got the fabric at the last Fabric Store sale ... so I'm good to go, just need a splash of time!

More photos on my Flickr -->

16 comments:

  1. I have made a few pairs of Jalie myself. I like what you have done with the pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bootie isn't something I am blessed with, so pocket features helps! Super easy to do as well.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic pair of jeans! They look perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wauw, great pair of jeans! I wouldn't worry to much about that fly front. I have one pair of RTW jeans and there is something of with the fly, so it's always gaping... If I liked wearing pants, I would definitely try this pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fly gets a little hidden under a belt :-) I love a good pair of jeans.

      Delete
  4. Woah!! These are gorgeous, I can't even believe you sewed them! They fit you so well and the stitching looks perfect. I have not attempted jeans yet. Too scary right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm super impressed with the top-stitch thread I chose :-)

      Delete
  5. I love this pattern! These are great. I love the changes you made to the front and back pockets. I made this pattern- first jeans and fly front ever. Jeans aren't as hard as I thought they would be. I plan to make more and make changes- we can learn something new each time!
    I look forward to the skinnies you make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) I know I thought they would be hard as well, but they are surprising easy, apart from the fly but I think that is just practice.

      Delete
  6. Hey I recognise that flowery fabric! :D Glad to see it in action. These jeans are GREAT, you did an amazing job and seriously isn't this the best thing about sewing? Making clothes that actually fit our bodies, rather than having to deal with modern RTW? I'm not even who RTW fits correctly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it look great - perfect match for my jeans :-) I love jeans, so to make my own is just like nothing I had ever imagined - I thought I would have to pay mega prices for ever for an average fit.

      Delete
  7. OOO oooo oooo! Love these. Magic eh? And I can't wait to see your skinnies either. I'll be picking your brains as I am about to pick up mine again and try to fix the crotch. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truely Jalie is a great pattern and I have had to do very minor tweaks to get a great fit, which makes me kinda to nervous to try any other pattern.

      Delete
  8. Hot damn! These are great, I'm super impressed. I really want to take on pants but am fairly convinced none of them will fit me. You've done a beautiful job of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I'm still pretty affraid to try another pant pattern because I'm not confident I would know how to fix any fitting problems. But this pattern is pretty good straight out of the envelope, so for now I'm just sticking to these.

      Delete