Saturday, 14 September 2013
Chloe is a semi-fitted, mid length A-line dress that hints towards a 60's mod style - a pattern by Canadian company Victory Patterns. I purchased the pattern from Dresses and Me together with the Lola pattern - you can read about my Lola here.
I really like the capped sleeve and contrast effect of version 2 and I chose a wool with a very fine red pinstripe which runs vertically.
I know this is really boring but I selected to contrast with a solid black cotton. It goes really nicely with my red circle top. Or on this day it was my black circle top and red boots.
I chose to make a size 8, knowing that on my muslin I would have to downsize the bust and increase the hip area. Here is exactly what I did to the pattern, after taking the dress off and on about eight times!
Side back piece: widen the hips by 3/8" at the side seam; take out 5/8" from the side seam at the armpit; to keep the side seam perpendicular to the floor I had to take 5/8" out of the bottom of the skirt at the side seam.
Centre back piece: widen the hip 1/4".
Side front piece: bring in by 5/8" under the arm on side seam; widen hips 3/8" on side seam; adjust the curve of the princess seam around the bust by straightening the curve above the bust by 1/8" and creating more of a curve underneath the bust by 1/4".
I absolutely love this dress and have worn it every week since I made it, which was about 3 weeks ago but a full on work schedule and then the nasty flu bugs all got in the way of taking some photos. I have since made a second Chloe - photos of that one yet to come.
More photos on my Flickr -->